Monday, February 16, 2009

Mindflayer - Die & Mold Services



Track List:
1. Die & Mold
2. Mold & Die


What better first post for a Lightning Bolt reference-titled blog than a Lightning Bolt related band? If you didn't know, Mindflayer is the duo of Brian Chippendale (drummer of Lightning Bolt) and Matt Brinkman (electric noise wizard of Forcefield). If that isn't enough information to warrant an immediate download of all things Mindflayer, you're fucking lame. But I don't want to start insulting people in my first blog post, just download this. I guess only 1,000 copies of this were made on 220 gram vinyl. I feel pretty awesome for finding this in a suburban record store in that case. I don't know if I own any other 220 gram vinyl, cause this beast is HEAVY. The sound quality is totally excellent too, but you can't download vinyl so you're getting some data files on the computer. Oh yeah I guess 200 of the 1,000 were on color vinyl, either puke green or neon green and unfortunately I'm one of the 800 who got boring old regular-colored records. Anyway, there are points in this record where I'm like, "Holy crap." As in, holy crap this comes damn near close to rivaling Lightning Bolt in all its glory. I think its unfair to relate everything Chippendale does back to Lightning Bolt though. Sure, his drumming sounds pretty damn similar in everything he does, but I don't consider this, or any other Chippendale (or Gibson, for that matter) projects as "side-projects." I've always hated that term cause to me it implies that it is somehow not as good or important as its "center-project." I've done a bit of rambling so let me wrap this up. This isn't the best Mindflayer album, but there are some damn awesome moments in it that make this worthwhile. Plus its kinda rare so you can impress your friends with it.


Looks like Lightning Bolt, smells like Lightning Bolt, sounds like Mindflayer.
Listen and Decide for Yourself

1 comment:

  1. Settle in all you need; First Zomby & now this excellent piece from the Fort Thunder crew. Your doing God's work my son!

    ReplyDelete